The Teaching Quality Standard of Alberta states that “teachers translate curriculum content and objectives into meaningful learning activities. They clearly communicate short and long range learning expectations to students, and how the expectations are to be achieved and assessed. They engage students in meaningful, motivating and challenging activities and opportunities.”
I believe that I have met this standard by demonstrating the following:
- Engaging students in an active and evolving classroom that invokes the inquiry process in learning and exploration of science.
- Promoting challenging problems and scenarios within the science curriculum that are relevant to “real world” experiences, including other students, adults, the school and community involvement.
- Keeping the content current and rich within the 21st century home, community and global connection.
- Using differentiation to to meet the needs of all students and to make their own experience with the curriculum relevant and meaningful.
- Supporting all students in their successes and helping them to learn from their mistakes and through meaningful dialogue and feedback.